Montague, New Jersey, USA
July & August, Sundays 1 - 4
Call to schedule small group tours


The Montague Association for the Restoration of Community History, is an all-volunteer organization that is dedicated to the discovery, preservation and dissemination of historical artifacts, information and sites in the Montague, N.J. and Tri-State area. M.A.R.C.H. was formed in 1979 to educate the public about our local history and to stimulate an appreciation for our unique past. Our membership includes over 200 people on all three sides of the Delaware River in NJ. NY and PA. A core of 25 volunteers, from age 30 to age 84, can be found doing varied jobs at any given time. Each member is dedicated to preserving and premoting local history.Volunteers maintain and operate two historic buildings, circa 1790 and 1820, under a memorandum of understanding with the National Park Service within the DWGNRA.

The Nelden Roberts Stonehouse is on Rt 206 in Montague, one mile south of the Milford-Montague Bridge. It served as a home to many people over the years, as well as a local school house in the 1820's. It is listed on the State Historic Register. This house is opened on Sunday afternoons during the summer.

The Foster Armstrong House is also located in Montague on River Rd, one mile north of the Milford-Montague Bridge. This house is a large clapboard structure built in 1790, with a stone addition added on in 1820. It has original floors, moldings and doors throughout, as well as the original front Dutch door, which has been restored by the NPS. It is also open on Sunday afternoons in the summer, as well as the second and fourth Wednesday morning of each month during the year, weather permitting. The grounds go down to the Delaware River and many hikers enjoy those trails year-round.

Interpretive services, historical research, genealogy research, historical exhibits, publications, and presentations are all part of what M.A.R.C.H. offers at the two sites. Both buildings and grounds are utilized, maintained and opened to the public on a regular basis. Both buildings can be viewed at other times by appointment. Small groups are welcomed. Paintings and photographs are also on display in both museums.