the Montague Association for the Restoration of Community History,
is an all-volunteer organization that is dedicated to the discovery,
preservation and dissemination of historical artifacts, information
and sites in the Montague, N.J. and Tri-State area. M.A.R.C.H. was
formed in 1979 to educate the public about our local history and
to stimulate an appreciation for our unique past. Our membership
includes over 200 people on all three sides of the Delaware River
in NJ. NY and PA. A core of 25 volunteers, from age 30 to age 84,
can be found doing varied jobs at any given time. Each member is
dedicated to preserving and premoting local history.Volunteers maintain
and operate two historic buildings, circa 1790 and 1820, under a
memorandum of understanding with the National Park Service within
Nelden Roberts Stonehouse is on Rt 206 in Montague, one mile south
of the Milford-Montague Bridge. It served as a home to many people
over the years, as well as a local school house in the 1820's. It
is listed on the State Historic Register. This house is opened on
Sunday afternoons during the summer.
Foster Armstrong House is also located in Montague on River Rd,
one mile north of the Milford-Montague Bridge. This house is a large
clapboard structure built in 1790, with a stone addition added on
in 1820. It has original floors, moldings and doors throughout,
as well as the original front Dutch door, which has been restored
by the NPS. It is also open on Sunday afternoons in the summer,
as well as the second and fourth Wednesday morning of each month
during the year, weather permitting. The grounds go down to the
Delaware River and many hikers enjoy those trails year-round.
services, historical research, genealogy research, historical exhibits,
publications, and presentations are all part of what M.A.R.C.H.
offers at the two sites. Both buildings and grounds are utilized,
maintained and opened to the public on a regular basis. Both buildings
can be viewed at other times by appointment. Small groups are welcomed.
Paintings and photographs are also on display in both museums.